When teaching any subject, adding an element of fun helps the information stick. This crossword puzzle is designed to help cover several basic terms and definitions so your attendees aren’t lost when you teach your lesson about essential oils.
We suggest pairing this game with the “Introduction to Modern Essentials” booklet so your students have the answers at their fingertips. Plus, you can use this booklet as the “textbook” for your class! It also makes a great take-home gift—especially for newbies.
1. The Icebreaker: Before the actual class starts, group your attendees in twos or threes to work on the crossword puzzle together. This helps get them talking with each other, which makes everyone feel more comfortable and will help participation later in the class. We like the idea of starting the class with this game because it teaches basic terms and definitions to people who have no knowledge or experience with essential oils.
2. The Attention Grabber: If you are teaching an essential oil introductory class, you can use this puzzle to help teach these basic terms and definitions. Start out with everyone completing the crossword puzzle, and then cover any other terms or definitions you feel are important to understand so your attendees aren’t confused when you start throwing out EO terminology as you teach.
3. The Intermission Activity: If you have a lot of material to cover, it always helps to provide breaks to allow your attendees to process the information they’re learning. Bathroom breaks, water breaks, and refreshment breaks are all great, but sometimes having fun goes a long way in boosting the energy in your class! To increase participation in your game, try making it into a contest: “First one to finish gets a prize!” or “Bring your finished crossword puzzle to the front to be entered into a drawing.”
4. The Pop Quiz: When teaching an introductory essential oils class, you’ll cover many of these terms and definitions. Use this puzzle to test your participants’ knowledge of what was just covered. This can even be fun in an advanced essential oil class. Sometimes, even the experts need to be reminded of the basics!
5. The Final Test: Yes, this is similar to the pop quiz, but you can also use this puzzle at the end of any essential oil class. If you plan on giving your attendees a copy of “Introduction to Modern Essentials” at the end of your class, consider giving them this crossword puzzle as well to get them looking through the booklet. Just like the “Intro to Modern Essentials” Scavenger Hunt Activity, getting your attendees to look through the “Introduction to Modern Essentials” booklet and find the answers to the questions on the puzzle will show them all the possibilities of essential oils and may increase the likelihood of them trying (or even purchasing) essential oils. And if you want your attendees to do the “Final Test” before leaving, maybe allow a few minutes to finish it before starting your Q & A session or opening up the refreshments table.
Download the PDF file of the crossword puzzle here.
Download the answer key here.
Do you have any other ideas for using this crossword puzzle in your essential oil classes? Have you tried using it in your class? We’d love to hear your ideas or experiences!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Spanish sage, also known as sage lavender (Salvia lavandulifolia), is steam distilled from the leaves and stems of the plant. It belongs to the Lamiaceae botanical family. The aroma is herbaceous and camphorous (with camphor as a primary chemical constituent), with a subtle lavender undertone.
Guaiacwood (Bulnesia sarmientoi)—pronounced GWHY-ack-wood—is steam distilled from the heartwood of the plant. It belongs to the Zygophyllaceae botanical family and is native to parts of South America. The aroma is woodsy with a subtle smoky-sweetness reminiscent of sandalwood. Its properties are...
The original and best ready EO reference is still Modern Essentials®! With the Modern Essentials® 14 family, you and your team are prepared to learn, teach, and share about essential oils with accessible, authoritative information.
We love sharing tips and tricks on how to safely and effectively use essential oils. Join in on the conversation!
Capsules and Essential Oils — FAQ
The Art of Roller Bottle Blending
Lighten Your Hair Naturally with Essential Oils
Essential Oils for Heart Health & Cardiovascular Support
10 Diffuser Blends for the Road
All-Natural Essential Oil Bug Spray
Essential Oil Spotlight: Peppermint
Sign up for our newsletter to learn about releases, exclusive deals and more!