There are lots of benefits you can take advantage of by using essential oils in your home. Essential oils are known for being used for a wide variety of purposes ranging from pleasant aromas to medicinal benefits. Even if you use the oils simply for their scent and use them in a diffuser, you are still benefiting from using them.
Essential oils are great for natural remedies and aromatherapy, but are you aware that they are also effective as deodorizing and disinfecting agents? One good example is the cinnamon essential oil—it is effective against various types of bacteria. Ylang ylang, lemon, peppermint, tea tree, lavender, and frankincense are also known for their antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. The citrus essential oils have stain-removing and de-greasing properties. With these oils, you can create a cleaning product for any situation, protect your home from pesky insects and rodents, and help keep your family healthy. If you are new to using essential oils, the tips below will help you get started in having a more natural lifestyle.
10 Tips For Using Essential Oils Around the House
1. Carpet Deodorizer To make a carpet and upholstery freshener, mix 1 cup (240 ml) baking soda with 5–6 drops of your chosen essential oil. Sprinkle some all over your home and let it stay or about 20 mins before vacuuming.
2. Vacuum Freshener You can freshen the air every time you use your vacuum by placing a few drops of cinnamon essential oil on a cotton ball and place it in your vacuum cleaner bag. The scent of the cinnamon oil will deodorize the entire house, as well as get rid of dust mites and the mildew smell that your vacuum emits.
3. Fabric Freshener Combine 1 Tbsp. (15ml) of baking soda, 2 cups (475ml) purified water and 10 drops of your desired essential oil in a spray bottle. Shake the mixture and spray it on carpets, upholstery, and other fabrics. Use eucalyptus oil and tea tree oil particularly if you want to get rid of the sweaty gym shoe smell. You can spray the mixture directly on their shoes to stop the bad odor from returning.
4. Air Freshener Rather than using harmful room sprays to freshen the scent of your rooms, combine 10–20 drops of essential oil with 1/2 tsp. (2.5ml) alcohol and some purified water in a spray bottle with purified water. Some of the recommended essential oils are orange, grapefruit and lemon. These oils will make the room smell airy and light. For a warmer scent, you can use frankincense and cinnamon. To get rid of smell produced by fish, try diffusing citrus oils. For eliminating the smell of cigarettes try peppermint, eucalyptus, and rosemary.
5. Bathtub Scrub Combine 1/2 cup (120ml) of vinegar, 1/2 cup (120 ml) baking soda and 5 drops of bergamot essential oil to produce a powerful soap. This is very effective in getting rid of the scum in the sink and for scrubbing the bathtub.
6. Dishwasher Booster Simply add 2 drops of grapefruit or lemongrass essential oil to your dishwasher before using it. The oil will help in removing grease and accumulation of soap and your dishes will shine.
7. Mold Combine 5 drops of lemongrass, 5 drops lemon, and 10 drops of tea tree essential oil in a spray bottle with a little alcohol; fill the remainder of the bottle with water. Spray on the stained and molded areas directly allow it to dry before wiping off. These oils have anti-bacterial properties that can kill and prevent future molding concerns and the lightening properties of lemon can lighten the stains.
8. Prevent Flies from Entering If you want to get rid of the flying insects, diffuse lemongrass oil in your windows or doors to stop them from entering your house.
9. Rodents and Spiders Rats, spiders, and mice are allergic to the smell of peppermint. In a spray bottle with 1/2 tsp. alcohol, add 10 drops of peppermint, and fill with water. Spray liberally at baseboards and entryways once every couple weeks.
10. Removing Stain and Grease For de-greasing and removing the stain, add 1-2 drops of lemon essential oil to gum, crayon, grease spot or oil on fabrics, let it sit for ten minutes and then wash it as usual.
Essential oils are household staple these days and more families are starting to use them over toxic products. The above-mentioned household uses of essential oils are only some of the many ways you can use essential oils in your home!
About the Author
Hello! My name is Lea Harris. I am a Certified Clinical Aromatherapist and run www.essentialoildiffuserusa.com. My goal and the purpose of my site is to help educate about the safe use of various essential oils.
Looking for a warm, woodsy autumn blend for your diffuser? Autumn Leaves is a delightful way to welcome the new season! The fresh, sweet aromas of bergamot and ginger harmonize with the warm, rich touches of frankincense and ginger. Together, these essential oils promote energy and awareness and help relieve tension.
Blue Lotus (Nymphaea caerulea) is an essential oil absolute extracted from the flowers. It belongs to the Nymphaea botanical family, commonly known as water lilies. Blue lotus has an exotic fragrance that uplifts and creates simultaneous feelings of euphoria and peace.
Introducing the 15th edition of the Modern Essentials® Handbook: The Premier Introductory Guide to Essential Oils. Of course, the 15th edition includes all new products up through the 2023 dōTERRA® convention. But that hardly scratches the surface.